Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Inspiration

I've learned some things, working in a doctors' office.

For one thing, I'm now far more comfortable dealing with the public, both in person and on the telephone.

I hadn't realized how insulated I was while working in a newsroom.

But what has really resonated with me is the nearly daily inspiration this office offers.

Today, a double-amputee wheeled his chair up to the desk to sign in. I asked how he was doing, and he gave me a grin. "I'm just fine," he said. "How are you, young lady?"

A double-amputee is fine? What problems do I have that can compete with that?

My favorite patient, though, is Miss L.

She has severe scoliosis. To walk, she must bend from the waist so much that you could eat lunch on her back.

She uses a walker, and each step causes her excruciating pain.

I have never once seen her without a smile on her face. She is always laughing and joking with the staff.

It's hard to feel blue when someone in such pain shows you the sunshine in her heart.

1 comment:

  1. wow. Sure puts things in perspective, eh?

    ReplyDelete